Auburn Home Moving Checklist
At PorterProperties.com finding your perfect home in Auburn with top rated search tools is easy. What's next?
But first... congratulations! Your search is over. You found your dream home.
Once your purchase agreement is signed it is time to think about moving day. All Weichert Realtors -
Porter Properties real estate agents
have experience with moving you across town or across country. Count on us to make this day stress-free.
Invite us in - and let us show you why Weichert Realtors - Porter Properties works!
Your Auburn Home Moving Day Checklist
Two month prior to Moving into your Auburn Home
- If you will use an Auburn Home mover, get a few estimates from moving companies
- If you will move yourself, get costs from at least two truck rental companies
- Create a floor plan of your new Auburn home for furniture and appliance placement.
- Make an inventory of your household goods and begin to remove clutter (start wit the basement, attic, garage and other storage areas.)
- Start a file for all your moving paperwork (estimates, receipts, etc.)
- Arrange to transfer school records
- Choose a mover (or truck rental company)
- Get your Auburn home ready contact painters, carpenters, plumbers, roofers etc., so your home is ready when you arrive. Remember to change the locks on all doors in your residence
- Visit smoothmoves.com for tips on for children
Six weeks prior to Moving into your Auburn Home
- Obtain and fill out post office change of address Auburn Home cards
- Subscribe to the paper in your Auburn home area to learn more about your new community.
- Make arrangements for storage if necessary
- Ask your doctor or health plan provider for referrals, and obtain all medical records
- Have antiques, pieces of art and other valuables appraised
- Clean all closets and drawers
- Start using foods and cleaning supplies that can't be moved
Four weeks prior to Moving into your Auburn Home
Schedule disconnection of all utility services at your old home's connection of them at your
Auburn home one. Be sure to disconnect the day after you leave and connect the day before
you arrive. If you have a last month deposits with services, such as the telephone company,
request your refund.
If you are moving yourself, reserve a rental truck.
If you are packing yourself, obtain packing materials and start packing items you won't need
until after you arrive at your new house.
Arrange for cleaning and repair of furniture, drapes and carpeting.
Arrange for special transportation of your pets and plants if necessary.
Check with your insurance company to see how you possessions are covered during transit.
Make any travel plans necessary for your Auburn Home move.
Check to see if you need any moving permits.
Plan your moving sale. Remember to check with local authorities about restrictions.
Collect your important records, Gather personal and family records, including medical and dental,
veterinary and school records; legal and financial documents; birth certificates, passports and
Three weeks prior to Moving into your Auburn Home
Properly dispose of items that can't be moved, such as flammable liquids
Prepare auto registration for transfer (if moving to another state)
If you are moving in or out of an apartment, arrange for use of the elevator
Make child-care arrangements on moving day
Hold your moving sale
Two weeks prior to Moving into your Auburn Home
- Arrange for disposal of anything not sold at your moving sale
- Service the car in preparation for the move. If you're moving from a warm climate to a cold, check your antifreeze
- Return any borrowed items (including library books) and retrieve any loaned items
- Cancel newspaper delivery
- Notify any creditors of your move
- Transfer a prescriptions and be sure you have an adequate supply of medications on hand
- Assemble a file folder of information to leave for the new owner of your Auburn home
- Change your address- one week before you move, send change of address cards to everyone who will need to contact you
- Pick up laundry, Laundry tickets are easy to misplace, so ask for your things by and not just by the receipts you have
Pack a travel kit:
- Put aside critical items like a checkbook, credit cards, personal phone, ID flashlight, keys, toiletries, tools, paper plates, cups, towels, travel alarm clock, aspirin, bandages and games for the kids
- Also, pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items
One day prior to Moving into your Auburn Home
- Transfer your bank accounts
- Take animals to vet for immunization, if necessary
- Close and empty your safe-deposit box
- Settle any bills with local businesses
- Drain power equipment of oil and gas. Drain water hoses
- Find new homes for plants that will not moved
- Confirm any travel reservations
- Drain your waterbed
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, propping doors open
- Let movers pack your belongings (unless it's a do-it-yourself move)
- Disconnect and prepare major appliances for Auburn Home move
- Set aside anything that will travel in your car so it will not be loaded on the truck
- Pack a box of items that will be needed first at the new house. Clearly mark this box "Load Last"
- Obtain cash or traveler's checks for the trip and to pay the movers
- Confirm arrival time of your moving van/truck
- If moving yourself, dismantle beds and other large furniture
Moving Day. Welcome to your Auburn Home!
- If using a mover, be sure someone is at the old house to answer questions
- Note all utility meter readings
- Read your bill of lading and inventory carefully before signing. Keep this paperwork in a safe place
Delivery Day. Be on hand to answer questions. Your Auburn Home is now yours.
- Check your belongings carefully and note on the inventory paperwork any damaged items
- On an interstate move, be prepared to pay the driver before your possessions are unloaded
- Supervise unloading and unpacking
- Be prepared to pay your mover with cash, certified check, or traveler's checks unless other arrangements have been made in advance.